On 9 January 2009, the cancer site of Cancerstory.com became dormant.
However, the web contents can still be read like a book without further update.
Healing Setback
- Means Test
- Are you ready to "take on" your doctor?
- Can you "fire" your doctor?
- Manage your expectations
- Lack of oncology nutritionists
- Nutrition Maze
- Extravagant claims
- Rare Cancers
- TCM - Controversy
- TCM - Book Review
- Reflection
- Magic Cure
- Man-made Rules
- It's about money
Understanding Cancer
- What is Cancer?
- Stage of Cancer
- Dictionary of Cancer Terms
- Tumour Marker
- Self Examination
- Symptoms of Various Cancer
- Healing & Curing
- Human Papilloma Virus
Cancer Challenge
   - Cancer's Victim Experience
   - The 8 Overcoming Tools
   - Motivational Message
   - Counselling/Cancer Helpline
   - Financial Issues
   - Cancer Checklist
   - Living With Cancer
   - Free Transport/Financial Aid
   - Seek Second Opinion
   - Learn About Your Illness
   - Conventional Treatment
   - Clinical Trials in Singapore
   - Complementary Treatment
   - Coping With Side Effects
   - Coping With Hair Loss
   - Sexuality and Cancer
   - Hospitals/Cancer Organisations
Surviving Cancer
   - Importance Of Support
   - Support Group
Hospice Care
   - Cancer's Victim Experience
   - Living Fully in the Face of Death
   - Types Of Hospice Care
   - Home Help Service
   - Directory Of Hospices
   - Pain Management
   - Advance Medical Directive Act
Special Corners
- Leukemia
- Kids' Corner
- Children with Special Needs
- Women's Corner
- Cancer Prevention Tips
- Products recalled by HSA
- Fundraising for cancer organizations
- Stroke
- Used Medical Appliances
- Will & Estate
- Water Cures, Drugs Kill
- Jurong Health Connect
- Mesothelioma
Art transforms into compassion
Follow-up on your loved ones?estate
The below frequently asked questions are extracted from SingaporeLawFAQ.com.
What should I do when there is a death in the family?
  • Check whether the deceased had left a Will
  • If there is no Will, find out whether the deceased had any assets e.g. cash in bank, HDB flat (in his sole name or held as tenants-in-common) etc
  • If there is a Will, the executor named in the Will must apply to Court for a Grant of Probate i.e. a Court document allowing him to collect and distribute the assets of the deceased.
  • If there was no Will, one of the closest relatives (normally the spouse or adult children) will have to apply to Court to be appointed the Administrator allowing him to collect and distribute the deceased's assets.
How are the assets distributed?
  • If there is a Will, it will be distributed in accordance to the deceased's wishes as stated in the Will.
  • If there was no Will, the assets must be distributed in accordance to the Law (known as the Intestate Succession Act but does not apply to Muslims), which is as follows:
Rule No Survivors (relative still living)
(Wife can also apply to Husband)
Share of estate (i.e deceased's assets)
1 Wife 
no children
no parent
Wife gets everything
2 Wife
Wife - 1/2 share
Children - 1/2 share (divided equally between all the children)
3 Wife
no children
Wife - 1/2 share
Parent - 1/2 (divided equally between them)
4 Parents
No wife & no children
Parents gets everything - divided equally between them
5 Brothers & sisters
No parents, no wife, no children
Brothers and sisters divide the assets amongst themselves equally
6 Grandparents
No parents, no wife, no children, no brothers or sisters
Grandparents divide the assets amongst themselves equally
7 Uncles & aunts
No grandparents, no parents, no wife, no children, no brothers or sisters
Uncles and aunts divide the assets amongst themselves equally
8 No surviving relatives such as above Government takes all

Note: Children of dead brothers and sisters will be entitled to their parents' share in  the assets (Under Rule 5).  Similarly, if one of the children (entitled under Rule 2) was dead, his children will take his share.  If there is such a case, check with your lawyers

Who should apply to be appointed the Administrators?
  • The wife or husband or next-of-kin of the deceased.
  • If there are children who are below 21 years old, there must be two administrators.
How do I apply to be appointed the Administrator?
  • An application must be made to the Court.
  • You must do it through a lawyer.
How long will it take?
  • The Court application is quite fast
  • One or two months
  • But the document appointing you (called a Grant of Letters of Administration) will be issued by the Court until the Estate Duty Department certifies that there is no estate duty payable
  • How long this will take depends on assets of the deceased and how fast the value of these assets can be ascertained by the Estate Duty Department
In the meantime, what will happen to the assets?
All the assets cannot be disposed off. If the money is in the bank, these will be frozen until such time as you can produce the Grant of Letters of Administration to the bank.

If the assets consist of an apartment (this also applies to all real properties), when must I sell the apartment?
Your duty as an administrator is to dispose of all the assets and distribute it to the persons entitled to the assets. This must be done as soon as possible. If the apartment is not sold within 6 years of the death of the deceased, when you decide to sell later, you must apply to Court for approval to sell. This will incur additional legal costs.

CancerStory.com only provides information and bears no responsibility for its contents.
It is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services.

The contents of this website are not to be quoted or reproduced in any form without the permission of CancerStory.com
Copyright © June 2000 CancerStory.com All rights reserved.

This website is kindly hosted by w.e.f. 1 Jan 2023.